With the winter months fast approaching; New Yorker’s need to be as mindful of winter weather advisories as they do skin care advisories- and the experts at Skintology Cosmedical Aesthetics have just issued one! Dry, flaky, itchy, dull winter skin forms as the temperatures drop and the air loses its humidity. Fortunately, by following these helpful skin care tips you can maintain healthy, supple, glowing skin through the harshest winter conditions.
1. Exfoliate Your Skin-Gentle exfoliations are crucial in the winter months to ensure dead skin cells are removed and the skin is properly prepared to absorb essential skin care products.
2. Hydrating Serum-Applying a hydrating serum is crucial during the winter months. Serums are more effective than moisturizers because the penetrate deeper into skin
4. Moisturize-After applying your serum it is important to lock it in with a moisturizer. A common misconception is to use a heavy moisturizer in the winter months. Heavy oily moisturizers sit on the surface of your skin, look greasy and don’t absorb any better than a lighter alternative.
5. Diet-Adding foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, avocado, ground flaxseed, walnuts, soybeans and olive oil will hydrate and nourish your skin from the inside out.
6. Avoid Hot Baths and Showers-While it is tempting to long soothing hot baths and showers in the winter months this will only dry out your skin even more depleting your skin of essential vitamins and oils.
7. Use a Humidifier-Heating systems used to warm our homes make the air extremely dry. Using a humidifier will add moisture back into the atmosphere preventing your skin from drying out.
8. Drink Water-Even though you may not be thirsty it is important to closely monitor your water intake in the winter months. Staying hydrated will ensure your skin stays hydrated as well.